Monday, September 28, 2009

Review: L'oreal Colour Riche Anti-Aging Serum Lipstick




It has been years since I have purchased a drugstore lipstick. I attribute this to the fact that I can be a makeup snob on occasion (surprise!), there are no testers in the drugstore, and the general poor quality and staying power of drugstore lipsticks. I have bought lip glosses, but glosses just don’t seem to last very long so my preference is lipstick. I’m sure it started waaay back when as a child and my mom let me play with the Avon tester lipsticks; those teeny tiny tubes were great, weren’t they?

I cannot tolerate the cloying fragrance of L’oreal lipsticks and just gave up on them for several years. But L’oreal Colour Riche Anti-Aging Serum Lipstick had me at “anti-aging”. They must have changed the formula for this lipstick because the smell is faint and not unpleasant. The serum core has ingredients like ProXalyne, Collagen, Hyaluronic spheres and Glycerin, all designed to smooth out lines and plump up lips. It does a decent job of both.

The formula is smooth, creamy and moisturizing. The pigment is great, one swipe and your done. Make no mistake this is a plumping lipstick so you will feel a tingle. I found the sensation more like a slight warming feeling and not at all uncomfortable. I liked the plumping effect, it was subtle but I could notice it. Lasting power is average for a good quality lipstick, around 4 hours which included sipping tea and a snack. There are 16 gorgeous shades; some have slight shimmer, all have a bit of shine but are not what I would consider glossy. I chose Berry Exciting, a raspberry shade, Blushing Bouquet a soft rose pink that will work for everyone, Spicy Pink, a browned bright pink and Compelling Coral a bright coral with a bit of red. I chose well for my warm skintone but there are some lovely choices for cool skin as well.



Left to right: Berry Exciting, Blushing Bouquet, Spicy Pink, Compelling Coral


Left to right: Berry Exciting, Blushing Bouquet, Spicy Pink, Compelling Coral


I won’t give up my beloved Chanel Rouge Allure’s, however I will not purchase another $30 Chanel lipstick unless it is a truly unique shade, or…. it has anti-aging in the name :)

I've only been using L’oreal Colour Riche Anti-Aging Serum Lipstick for a week but if it really does make my thin lips fuller with continued use, it just might complete me.

Performance: 4/5

Value: 5/5, retails for about $10, got mine on BOGOHO (buy one get one half off) so, $15 for 2

Packaging: 3/5--cheap plastic, but I do appreciate the clear cover so you can see the color

Overall: 4/5--Impressive!

I purchased these products myself

4 comments:

caroline said...

ahhh i definitely want to try this out! the shades are so pretty! are there colors i should avoid if i have warm skin?!
love your blog!
xox
c

Prime Beauty said...

some of the pinks lean toward cool, but there are also 4 in the peach/nude range that look nice. Naturally nude looks especially good, that will probably be my next purchase. The pinks I chose are all warm so you should be safe with those. Thank you so much for the compliment! I'm trying lol!!!

CC said...

I bought this yesterday in Pucker Up Pink. Loving it so far, and will definitely be going back for a lighter shade of pink soon. Not that I don't like this shade, but I need something a little less bright for work. Walgreens was running a B1G1 Free special this week and were low on most of the colors :(

Mine has a slight citronella-y scent to it - did you notice that with yours?

Prime Beauty said...

CC,
I did notice a slight scent, couldn't identify it, you could be right. I was just happy it was only slight--I can't tolerate the strong scent of most L'oreal lipsticks--even Estee Lauder l/s has a super strong smell!